Friday, November 12, 2010

Blog/Journal #6 "Cell Phones and Social Graces"

        I think the purpose for Charles Fisher’s essay was to elaborate on the use of cell phones and to show how careless, sometime inconsiderate, and needy most people are when using their cell phones. I liked his essay, I enjoyed reading it, and I thought it was a little humorous. Charles doesn’t have a cell phone nor does he want one simply because he has no use for it and is satisfied without one; however it can be of some use in the occurrence of an emergency. If he can live in a world without a cell phone before they came out, then he can live without one now. It’s almost like the phrase “Out of sight, Out of Mind.” I agree with his viewpoint even though I can sometimes be one of those people he has spoken about. After reading Charles’ essay I realized that I see “cell phones and social graces” around me everyday. I think we’ve all become accustomed to being spoiled with high tech gadgets whether it be a cell phone, iphone, ipod, or laptop. It seems like every time a new gadget comes out we have to trade in our old ones for the newest or latest version just to keep up with what’s in. What ever happened to just going out in public having fun and enjoying the people you were with, with no interruptions from a phone ringing inside of your pocket or your purse? Once upon a time we didn’t even know what a cell phone was because they didn't exist and I was happy just having a phone at home with an answering machine, but now that cell phones have come into the world; I don’t believe that I could live without one. Cell phones have come a long way and has taken over many households today, and I’ll bet if you go into any ten random homes none of them will have a house phone, but will probably have at least 3 or 4 cell phones on a family plan.

        Charles brought up a really good point when he mentioned how people shouldn’t put their business out there for the whole world to hear when their on the phones in public. Some people don't care how they speak or who's around to hear it. They need to be courteous and watch what they say due to the fact that small children may be in their presence. He also mentioned in his essay how it is sad for people to have their phones ring in the middle of a funeral eulogy or church, and during in-home Bible study (the lady fumbling for her phone and going outside to take the call). RUDE! This reminded me of being in church with my daughter one Sunday morning. Her phone was on vibrate and you could hear it when she was getting a call or a text. It was her boyfriend calling. She put her head down, answered the phone, and then got up to go outside to talk to him. I was furious. This girl wears her phone as if it was an earring. She can text like there is no tomorrow and most of the time when she’s texting she’s not even looking at her phone and she‘s going a mile a minute. I’m usually amazed by this because I can’t do that and wishes that I could, but don’t get me wrong because I’m no better than she is when it comes to being on my cell phone or texting. I'll admit it. I actually sleep with my phone and yes I know that’s bad. My daughter gets upset with me when I’m getting a call or a text while driving because I‘ll try to answer or respond to the text, and again, I KNOW THAT’S BAD! Most of the time if I’m on the phone and is having a deep conversation that I'm into; if someone is trying to get my attention I won't pay them any mind. I hate when I'm on the phone and someone interrupts me or is trying to carry on a conversation with me knowing that on the phone. Pet Peeve! I will usually keep my conversation to myself without others hearing me.

        Many other times I’ll get a call, and if I don’t recognize the number, I won’t answer the phone. Sometimes I’ll ignore friends and family if I’m busy or just don’t feel like talking at the moment. I think one of Charles’ examples of being in constant contact with someone compares to one of my situations that I have with my daughter. She calls me every chance she gets. I love my daughter but she can be real needy at times. I believe all of that is due to her loving me as much as she does and the fact that she'll be getting married soon and moving away. If I’m not at home she will call me at least 10 time a day. When I’m hanging out with my friend KC, I’ll leave my phone in another room or put it on vibrate just so I’m not being disturb or being taken away from him and his company. I figure at this point that if I’m where I want to be and then I don’t need to speak with anyone else during that time unless it is an emergency and 9 times out of ten it is not an emergency. As for my daughter; I think she will be calling me a lot more once she moves away; therefore, I will need to keep my phone attached to my hip and ear at all times as much as I do now and answer it when she calls.

        I remember about a year ago, my cell phone came up missing and I couldn’t find it for two days. I felt like my world was over. All I could think about were my contacts that I had and how I wouldn’t be able to retrieved them if I couldn’t find my phone. I was devastated and sick during the two days it was missing. I have to have my phone on me at all times. I feel like I’m missing out on something if I don’t have it. There were even times when I missed a payment and my phone was off for a couple of days. During that time, I was going through the motion because I wasn’t able to talk or text and I have Metro PCS so when I received a text message and couldn’t respond, I was pulling my hair out and going crazy. I can not live without my cell phone. I actually have the same phone I’ve had for a few years. I need an upgrade and would love to get one but at this time I don’t need it. My phone hasn’t given me any trouble since I’ve it. Oh but the one time I thought I would lose my mine is when my phone fell in the toilet. I reached in so fast to grab it but by the time I got it out it had already had water damage. Fortunately, it dried out in two days and was good as new. I didn’t have to replace it, I didn’t lose any of my contacts, music or media, and that made me very happy.

        As Charles Fisher mentioned, there are plenty of good reasons to have a cell phone which in any case you may need to have one for an emergency. We shouldn’t abuse the use of our cell phones because it can be rude, inconsiderate, inappropriate, and especially dangerous. Be aware of your surroundings, be courteous to others and pay attention to what’s in front of you. Who wants to be having dinner at a nice restaurant when the person at the next table or booth behind you is carrying on a conversation about God knows what? Not cool. If you’re spending time with family and/or friends and your phone rings or you receive a text message; I thinks it ok to answer or respond later unless it is a call or text that is important and its something you’ve been expecting. If that is the case then let others know ahead of time that you’re expecting and will be receiving an important call and if it is an emergency, others will respect the fact that you must take the call.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you related your own story to the one we read. It’s true a lot of us must have our phones everywhere we go. God forbid we can’t find it, I’ve been there and its torchure. But I think that’s what the world has come to when it comes to cell phones. We all have them to be available to everyone who may need us. And that isn’t always a bad thing. I enjoy your stories they are always interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Jackie, and it was pretty funny too. I wouldn't know what to do if my phone fell in toilet,I think I'd have to go without one for a while lol. Great read, and very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your response on Charles Fisher's essay, I felt that you did a great job with your supporting body paragraphs. One thing I think you could work on just a little better is your thesis sentence. Other than that I believe you did a very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a very good job at covering the prompt. Trying to find your phone is always the worst, reason why it is with me at all times so I never lose it. My friend once dropped his cell phone into a porta-potty and decided it wasn’t worth going in after it. I felt bad for him, he said he felt naked without it.

    ReplyDelete