Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Stuff Is Not Salvation - Journal 3

    Anna Quindlen's purpose in writing "Stuff is Not Salvation" is to make others aware of how the world can go bankrupt in such a short amount of time. She is trying to let people know that they don't always have to have a lot of material things such as "stuff". We can all go out and buy what we want if we have the means and the money to do so but do we really need it or is it just a want.

    I used to spend money a lot on music CD's and movies all of the time. I would go shopping every time I got my paycheck. It made me feel good to go shopping especially when I was stressed or upset about something, but when I got home with all of my shopping bags, I had to stop and think about what I had purchased. I would ask myself was it something I really needed, did I have to have it, and what am I going to do with it now that I have no money left. I would sometimes feel really bad after buying the "stuff " and would take it back to the store because the majority of the time I didn't need it.


    My soon to be ex came into some money after a car accident a few years ago. He spent the money like without thinking first. During that time, we went on the best vacations, my kids had clothes for days, I had flowers and chocolates sent to my job, had upgrades to our wedding rings, etc. After a few months I was tired of spending money. The money went so fast that we had to stop and take a look back at what had happened. There are the memories and the nice things we had to show for it.

     One of my best friends, I'll call Bell used to spend money on everything like it was going out of style. She would shop and buy stuff for my kids and me and all of this was going on her credit cards. She even took me to Hawaii for my birthday one year after she got her taxes. My kids and I always had a good time because she always treated us to concerts, limo rides around town during Christmas to see all of the lights lite up, and just about every birthday and holiday. She even gave an ex-coworker $1000 to help pay for his honeymoon. I always thought she had a problem with spending and mentioned it to her a few times, but she would always say "why stress over saving your money, because you can't take it with you when you die?" She thought it was good to go out and have a good time if she was having that good time with the people she loved and cared about. Today Bell is my roommate and she is struggling very much to make ends meat. She always complains about being broke and never having any money to go out and do anything with. She would sometimes admit that when she had money she knew she shouldn't be spending, she would spend it any way because she wanted to and that it made her and who ever she was spending the money on happy.

    Today I look at life in a different light. I don't have much money, it fact I have no money. I am on unemployment, trying to go to school so I can better myself and be successful and have money to make life a little easier. I realize that having a lot of money only makes you feel good for a little while. What makes me happy the most is spending time with my family and friends, loving life, learning to live in the moment, and laughing a lot and not sweating the small stuff. Money will always be here but it will not always make you happy. I have a friend who always tell me; if you don't need it then why buy it, because all it is, is a nice have but not a must have.

7 comments:

  1. wow you'r story amazes me I can't imagine going from having nice "stuff", going on trips,to instint not having as much as you use too. Now your trying to better your life witch I truly admire people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The phrase your friend said "why stress over saving your money, because you can't take it with you when you die?" is true but shoudn't be applied all the time. She's lucky to have a friend that would let her be a roommate. Great to know you appreciate the better things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice answer to the prompt. I like how you used your life and another person's life to bring in a modern day example. There was one grammatical error, and everything else was fine. I really liked reading about your experience, because I could picture people going out, having a good time, all at the places you named.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I am really sorry to hear about what has happened to you. But everything happens for a reason right? Its good that you were able to get back on your feet. You did a really great job at answering the questions to the prompt and understanding the key points of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked reading your story. It really related to the article in my eyes. I’m sorry that your friend had to go through that and kind of learn the hard way. I have been down that path a couple times where I had literally like .79 cents in the bank but I managed to bounce back. I think it’s great you are going to school to have the opportunity to have that money and spend it accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story and I really liked how you used yourself and people you know to answer the prompt. Its not everyday someone bounces back. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your blog and felt that you did a nice job sticking to the prompt. One thing I do feel that you can improve on is your thesis statement.

    ReplyDelete